Saturday, March 26, 2011

first words and feelings...

So I have been promising an update for quite some time, and I have some free time in between our ventures for the weekend. So here is your update... long overdue, I know. I arrived in Morelia at 7:30 on Wednesday, and I had no problems with customs and immigration, hooray! And I was greeted by the director and his wife at the airport, who then proceeded to take me to my home to meet my new family. The nerves were still very, very present. Although, I continued to give them over and place them in my Maker's hands for the duration of the ride...

I met my family and I immediately felt at home. Sure, I was still nervous, I had just trekked a country away from all I knew, but it was though, in those first few moments God let me know it was going to be alright, that I was at home. Questions were traded as we got to know each other over a late snack, every piece of clothing and luggage was stowed into its' proper place. And after a bit of watching tv with the family, we turned in for the night.

The next morning I was able to sleep in and was greeted with breakfast by my sweet house mom, fresh mango, orange juice and quesadillas with pico de gallo, a muffin and coffee. We talked about many different things, and she made sure to tell me not to be nervous about speaking spanish. After that, I met with the Director at NOE, and was given an orientation...and then I went home to eat dinner with my family at 2. I went back to NOE for an emergency seminar, and met a few of the NOE staff members.

Yesterday, I met with Sharon, the woman I will be replacing for the upper level english class and Juan, who gave me a tour and explained some other things concerning the internship. I went back home for our early dinner, and then returned to NOE for another meeting regarding teaching. I stayed looking over material for my classes until time for youth group--we watched the Book of Eli, and I was formally introduced to the students.

I hope I am not boring you with these daily details. It's truly the only way I can think of to give a proper update.
Furthermore, God is already showing me that I will easily fall in love with this place and the people here. I am seeing His faithfulness in each moment of my stumbling over the language and it is such a comfort to feel His presence with me, even in the smallest of things.
I am so thankful for your prayers; there hasn't been a moment where I have felt alone in this. Praise be to Him, the author of my dreams!

I haven't taken any pictures, yet. I am sure I will have some soon. Below is a piece of the Baja, and it seems to be fitting, cause I am pretty certain that love will come easy for this place too:



No comments:

Post a Comment