Monday, January 19, 2015

and so are small beginnings...

I had a student quietly whisper over the commotion outside that his New Year's Resolution was to find Jesus…and just as quickly as he said it, it faded into existence, but I stowed that resolution away for keeps. Prayers fumbled from my heart to mind, and I asked Jesus to make this my student's year.

My little dreamers spent Tuesday declaring dreams for the new year and then they prayed over each other, when finished one of my students gently said, "this is the first time I've ever prayed before." We celebrated her victory like a home-team is supposed to and then Thursday when a student took over the teaching, the same girl declared that this would be the year that she starts to read her Bible.

My dear adults found their way back to class and ended up admitting that although they were reluctant to come in the beginning, that now there isn't any other place they would rather be on Tuesdays. We had a student observing whether or not he wanted to register and the other adults mentioned how our class is so much more than English, how it's the fellowship, the verse we see each week, and talking about God.

My little light that I call my daughter had heavy eyes the other day, so I wrote her a little note and she admitted that she didn't do as well in school this past semester, while tears fell from her eyes. Jesus nudged me to speak truth and even though he knows how unconfident I am about praying in a second language, He told me that this was one such moment.

In the past couple of classes, we have had the case of relentless giggles and while this is the last thing a teacher wants to tell you…I'm telling you, anyways, sure I have no idea the reason for the contagious laughter and we probably have laughed more than we have seen English, but I think sometimes Jesus wants to remind us that it is okay to lose it in laughter, it's okay to be so full of joy, that it gets out of control.

There have been afternoons this week when I have been able to rest and relish in His faithfulness and just sit in awe at the beauty that is, Him making us brave. I am in awe of how He turns something so small into something so beautiful.

Let's celebrate small victories. 

I have been here over a week now and well, the beautiful thing is that these things started happening the day I returned to the classroom. I believe it is God's way of telling me that I'm right where I need be, that yes, although my heart longs to fix things and give immediate answers, that sometimes the "me too" or the silence you offer someone who needs to be heard, does more than you could ever imagine.

I wonder how many times we miss the moments, because we are afraid of what to say.

I wonder how many times we miss the moments, because we are too busy over-thinking and too paralyzed by fear to act.

I wonder how many times we miss the moments, because we are expecting something huge to happen.

God delights in small beginnings. 
God celebrates small victories. 

And while you think that these little things are nothing in the grand scheme of things, these are small beginnings and they, too, are accomplishing His purpose.

I think sometimes our idea of this side of Heaven is lost upon us. Sometimes we feel as though Jesus is telling us to fend for ourselves, to clean up our mess, to fix the broken things in our life and the broken people around us.

But such feelings are just doubting his provision,
and "Grace leaves little room for doubt."

Sometimes there are no good answers and there are no quick fixes, but Jesus is a God who enters into our mess and He says that with Him, it is well.

My word for 2015 is enough and all of these small beginnings and so many other things have shown me that this is already ringing true for my year. With Jesus, it is well. With Jesus, it is enough.






And while I'm sure hard days will come, I'm certain that HE is and always will be enough for me. I'm certain that the small victories and small beginnings in this life deserve to be celebrated and I'm positive that God is celebrating them with me.














1 comment:

  1. The more I read your words,
    The more you speak truth to my heart.

    ReplyDelete