Friday, February 1, 2013

To my little overcomer:


Dear Darling Girl,

I've watched you for a number of years avoid wrestling with your fears, and of mirrors, steering clear. 

I've seen those moments when boys have ripped out your heart and trampled your vulnerability, leaving you out on the streets, alone and trembling. 

Those times when you've clung to your depression and loneliness, when you've sat with them and given them your hands to hold. Those moments when you couldn't utter a word, you couldn't be bold. 

I've seen you brokenly long to stay beneath the covers, instead of facing another day. 
I've heard your whimpers of prayers, when you haven't known what to say. 

But I've seen you rise, ever still. 

I've seen you overcome. 

You have walked out of your heartache, you've asked me to enter in. 

You have risen from beneath the covers; you are not where you've been. 

Daughter, I see your whole life. I don't define you by your best and worst moments. 
Stop believing the lie that you're spent. 

I claim your victories, your scars, and your wounds. 
I claim you. 

I revel the times that you chose to run back, the times when you realized you are not what you lack. 

Little girl, my arms are open wide, please don't hide. 

I know you feel like a lost cause and all love is lost, 
but look back at all that you've overcome. 

Remember those moments when you stood tall for your heart's cause, when you denied that love was lost, when you released depression and loneliness from your clenched fingers, when you let my love enter in it all and linger. 

You are a fighter. You are a survivor. 

You are not a victim of your ugly past; my love for you, of all this, outlasts. 


Hold your head high, live with that beautiful mended heart on your sleeve, 
seeing that victory is what is always been meant to be. . . 


"For Zion's sake I will not keep silent, 
for Jerusalem's sake I will not remain quiet, 
til her righteousness shines out like the dawn [until you shimmer], 
her salvation like a blazing torch. 
The nations will see your righteousness, 
and all kings your glory [your beauty];
you will be called by a new name
that the mouth of the Lord will bestow. 
You will be a crown of splendor in the Lord's hand [the crown of creation], 
a royal diadem in the hand of your God. 
No longer will they call you Deserted, 
or name your land Desolate. 
But you will be called Hephzibah [my delight is in her], 
and your land Beulah [married];
for the Lord will take delight in you, 
and your land will be married. 
As a young man marries a maiden [he pursues her, romances her] . . . 
as a bridegroom rejoices over his bride [you are lovely], 
so will your God rejoice over you." 

(Isaiah 62:1-5, emphasis taken from Captivating)

No comments:

Post a Comment