Sunday, January 22, 2012

abrumada

"That moment that unaccountably brings tears to your eyes, 
that takes you by crazy surprise, that sends a shiver down your spine, 
that haunts you with what is just possibly a glimpse of something far beyond or deep within itself..." 
Frederick Buechner

Such moments have taken place throughout this entire first week since returning to Morelia. I've been overwhelmed at the sight of all those I came to love so easily in three short months. I am overwhelmed and the joy does runneth over. The giddiness from the first sight of that dear handful of friends waiting for me Monday night, still sits in my heart. 

My soul is trying to stowaway all of these emotions, and my fingers are trying to tell something of what this feels like- this love, this being used, this making love known. Yet, I'm blessed with incapability, to tell you of what it means to know you're right where you need to be.   

I received my teaching schedule Tuesday and ended up teaching my first class that very night. I am a very content teacher with 19 classes per week, two classes Tuesday and Thursdays and five classes Monday, Wednesday and Fridays. So I've attempted to put the jet lag out of sight and out of mind, as I have been preparing and teaching my classes this week. This time around, is a bit more challenging, I have a larger number of classes where I speak mostly Spanish, because they are beginners. At first, I was worried about how I would fare, but now I'm excited about how much more this means I'll be able to practice. 

I've been given the chance to talk with a few of my closest friends and students, from last year and that in itself, has been a reminder that God needs me here. Being in their presence makes it a lot easier to make love known to their precious hearts. 

The fear has worn off and the language seems to come with more ease and for that I'm incredibly grateful. I can't and I won't live in fear. I'll speak up, because that is in part why He brought me here. 


I was able to see Samaritan's Purse in action yesterday. 
NOE held two festivals to be able to give out all of the boxes they received from Samaritan's Purse. 
Cristina, above, was so pleased when she opened her box and found school supplies, 
saying it was everything she didn't have for school. 


So there's a snippet of my first week for you. Just a few words this time, because I still have to rid myself of some jet lag.

My new word, Abrumada = overwhelmed. 

1 comment:

  1. Kristen,
    I am so thrilled for you. There is nothing so satisfying as knowing you are where God wants you and that you have an opportunity to allow his love to flow from yourself to those who need it so desperately. I work with 60 kids every day who are from poor neighborhoods, know little about Jesus and have all kinds of family issues. My heart is always heavy for them also. I understand how your heart feels. God bless you as you labor for him and those kids he loves so much.

    Gary Merillat

    ReplyDelete